Inspiring Women in Automotive at Silverstone
25 May 2016
Ninety schoolgirls were encouraged to carve out a career in the motoring industry at a special event at the UK’s biggest automotive expo of its type – CDX16 held at the world famous Silverstone race track on 24th May.
The 14-to-16-year-olds – from seven schools around the country – took part in a fun and informative speed networking session run by the Education and Employers charity as part of its national Inspiring Women programme.
Twenty female executives from the motoring world answered their questions during the career speed networking event, which saw tables of up to 12 girls quizzing the women in turn for 10 minutes, after which a bell will rang and the businesswomen moved to the next table.
Julie Muir, Founder of the UK Automotive 30% Club, and Miriam Gonzalez Durantes, Founding Champion of the Inspiring Women campaign, gave speeches. Both seek to encourage girls in state schools to aim high and consider careers in STEM and industries where men have traditionally dominated senior roles.
The career speed networkers were:
- Amy Lightowler, Aftersales Graduate, Vertumotors
- Elaine Cole, Purchasing Director, Vertumotors
- Fiona Roberts, HR Director, Volkswagon Group
- Georgia Coles, Automotive Content Solutions, Haymarket Media Group
- Hannah Brawn, Journalist, Autotrader
- Heidi Cartledge, Head of Customer Quality and Network Development, Skoda
- Helen Mutter, General Manager – Planning & Programmes, KIA
- Jessica Montgomery, Vehicle Technician, Burrows Toyota
- Joanne Ellison, General Manager, Vertumotors
- Julia Muir, MA, Gaia Innovation Ltd
- Karen Cooper, Engineer, McLaren Applied Technologies
- Karen Hilton, National Communications, Retailer and Digital Marketing Manager, Volkswagon Commercial Vehicles
- Kirstin Stagg, Head of Marketing, CV
- Moya Gentle, HR Manager, Group 1 Automotive
- Paula Cooper, Network Development Director, Toyota
- Penny Burnett, Head of HR, Volswagon
- Rose Butterworth, Head of Customer Quality and Network Development, Skoda
- Sally Hepton, Director of Government Relations and CSR, Bentley
- Samantha Perry, Head of People, Carwow
- Vanessa Murphy, General Manager – HR & Facilities, Toyota