Recruiting for a Director for a major new programme: Inspiring Governance
15 Jun 2016
Since 2012, through our unique online portal, Inspiring the Future, our charity, Education and Employers, has specialised in enabling state schools and colleges across the country to find brilliant volunteers to support the careers education, teaching and learning of pupils – for free. To date over 30,000 people have volunteered together with over 10,000 teachers, representing over 85% of state schools and colleges.
In 2014 in partnership with the Department for Education, the National Governors’ Association, the CBI and others we launched the Inspiring Governors Alliance to celebrate the important role played by school and college governors and trustees and to encourage more highly skilled people to volunteer.
Last year, we developed the Inspiring the Future technology to enable schools to find volunteers with skills in demand from their boards of governance. Technology enhancements were made and the first volunteers appointed.
Now, our charity, Education and Employers, has been chosen as the Department for Education’s preferred bidder for a major four-year partnership to support the delivery of targeted governor and academy trustee recruitment across England.
Utilizing and developing Inspiring the Future’s on-line technology and working in partnership with the National Governors’ Association and supported by ASCL and NAHT, the new Inspiring Governance service will:
- Help boards recruit the highest calibre people possible.
- Support the maximum possible number of governing boards within available resources.
- Prioritise the boards most in need of finding skilled people and areas of the country where education standards and capacity to improve are weakest, whilst maintaining support to any school wishing to use the service.
- Provide effective screening, matching, and induction, to maximise the impact of the people introduced onto boards.
- Engage more employers in encouraging their staff to be involved in governance through managed employer support programmes
- Raise awareness across the education system of how to structure and populate a highly skilled governing board.
- Establish a new national channel through which governing boards can recruit an experienced and skilled chair.
To establish this new service and oversee its successful roll out, we are seeking to appoint an experienced, self-motivated director of Inspiring Governance.
Leading a small team based in London and around the country and working closely with key partners including the Department for Education, the National Governors’ Association and leading employers the successful candidate will play a fundamental role in ensuring that our country’s schools and colleges are well led.
It will also be an opportunity to join the leadership team of a small London-based charity which, over recent years, has led innovation and research in employer engagement in education, delivering ground-breaking new evidence on the long-term impact of school-based employer experiences and enabling state pupils to connect with employee volunteers on more than one million occasions.
For full job description and details on how to apply please click here.
National Governors’ Association
Our main partner, the National Governors’ Association, is also recruiting to a post to lead on its part of the Inspiring Governance programme.
Their CEO Emma Knights said: “There has never been a more important time to encourage people to step forward and offer their time and skills to govern schools in the interest of pupils. The National Governors’ Association is delighted to be working with Education and Employers on the Inspiring Governance programme.”
The NGA will be offering support to new volunteers so that they can engage effectively with governing from the beginning of their term of office and developing a new service to support schools to find and develop chairs. It will include:
- Raising awareness of good practice in the recruitment of school governing board members
- Encouraging schools/governing boards to sign up to Inspiring the Future: Inspiring Governance for finding candidates
- Providing support to new governance volunteers, and developing e-learning induction
- Developing with Education and Employers a pool of chairs for schools/trusts unable to recruit a chair for their governing board and providing them with support
NGA’s post will be based in Birmingham and for details click here.