Identifying and Reporting Safeguarding Concerns

Our safeguarding duty of care

At Education and Employers, we promote a proactive response to keeping children and adults safe, encouraging their active participation in keeping themselves and others safe.

Some of the individuals we encounter may be in vulnerable circumstances, experiencing distress or have mental health needs. We will work in partnership with other organisations, including statutory services like the police and social care, to signpost to services who are better equipped to provide help and support and to protect those who have been or are at risk of harm, exploitation or abuse.

This means that Education and Employers representatives will:

  • always act in the best interests of individuals, respecting and involving those who use our services, providing them with safe and appropriate advice and signposting to services that meet their needs and supports their rights.
  • not knowingly act or fail to act in a way that results in harm to others.
  • treat all safeguarding concerns seriously and report them to the Designated Safeguarding Officer. If a volunteer is working in a school, college or with an employer, they will report to their Designated Safeguarding Officer in the first instance.
  • protect confidential information except where the wider duty of care or the public interest might justify making it known.

What this means for the individuals we work with? Children, young people and adults will receive good quality services from people who have the skills and abilities to deliver them safely and to a high standard. This includes our duty to protect them from harm. Everyone will be treated with dignity and respect, included in and given a choice over decision making which impacts them, unless they lack the capacity to do so or it would put them at serious risk of harm, exploitation, abuse and neglect.

What this means for people in the communities where we work? If we encounter individual cases of harm, exploitation, abuse and neglect in communities and places where we work, even if they are not directly related to our activities, we will refer them on to the appropriate persons or agencies. When the appropriate agencies fail to reasonably respond, we will escalate our concerns to the next appropriate authority.

What is a safeguarding concern? A safeguarding concern is when you are worried about the safety or well-being of a child or adult because of something seen or heard, or information which has been given to you. A safeguarding concern can also involve an Education and Employers representative, or a representative from another organisation, endangering the safety or wellbeing of others, for example, by not following the code of conduct.

If you have a safeguarding concern

If you are concerned that Education and Employers or one of its representatives, is endangering the safety or wellbeing of others please contact: or 020 7566 4880.

If you are worried about the safety or welfare of a child you should call the NSPCC adult helpline for confidential advice on 0808 800 5000.

If you are worried about the safety or welfare of an adult you should call the police (if they are in immediate need of help) or your local adult social care team.

April 2018