Job Title: Volunteer Engagement Manager
Purpose: The Education and Employers charity’s flagship programme Inspiring the Future connects tens of thousands of volunteers from the world of work to state schools across the country to inspire the next generation. This key post will be responsible for overseeing the recruitment and engagement of volunteers across the whole volunteer journey.
Reports to: Director of Operations and Programmes
Location: We have a central London office but are open to flexibility on location / hybrid working with occasional visits to the London office.
Remuneration: £28k – £34k (depending on experience)
Additional Terms: Excellent package including 30 days paid holiday, exclusive of Statutory Holiday; competitive pension scheme; a staff volunteering allowance of up to 5 days; additional family friendly benefits including enhancements to Statutory Payments; and training and development opportunities.
Appointment Terms: Permanent – Full time. We are open to considering part-time working minimum 3 days per week.
About Education and Employers/ Inspiring the Future
Education and Employers is a UK-based charity launched in 2009 which aims to “provide young people with the inspiration, motivation, knowledge, skills and opportunities they need to help them achieve their potential”. The charity believes that every young person in our country, wherever they live, whatever their parents or carers’ circumstances, should have the opportunity to meet a diverse range of volunteers and hear first-hand about jobs and the world of work.
Underpinning the charity’s work are our values: Inspiring, Inclusive, Innovative, Impactful, Integrity
The charity runs the programme Inspiring the Future (and Primary Futures for primary schools) connecting state schools to a diverse range of volunteers from the world of work for both in-person and virtual activities. Our research has shown that giving young people the chance to interact with people from the world of work helps to raise aspirations, broaden horizons, challenge stereotypes and motivate children and young people by linking learning to the wider world. Inspiring the Future is internationally recognised working with a range of partners from central and local government to FTSE 100 companies and entrepreneurs. It has been featured on ITV, BBC, OECD the World Economic Forum.
We are looking for an experienced and dynamic Volunteer Engagement Manager who can undertake detailed analysis, think creatively, and lead the delivery of the Inspiring the Future volunteer programme. This is a unique role, managing a database of tens of thousands of volunteers to ensure they are engaged with the programme and deliver high-quality careers activities in schools. This includes working alongside the Director of Operations and Programmes to create a volunteer strategy and lead the day-to-day management of volunteers. This role will work across the charity to develop and support the volunteer journey. Key deliverables include directing communications, daily monitoring, project managing the life cycle of a volunteer and reporting on volunteer engagement. This role will also lead volunteer recruitment working alongside the communications team to deliver volunteer recruitment campaigns.
This is an exciting role for someone looking to gain a breadth of experience in the charity sector, grow their experience in project management in a supportive environment, and to deepen their understanding about education, career-related learning, social mobility and volunteer engagement.
Our charity aims to tackle the ingrained stereotypical views that children often have about the jobs people do based on their gender, ethnicity and socio-economic background. As such we are keen to ensure our own workforce is diverse and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for jobs with us.
Overall Volunteer Management
- Together with the Director of Operations and Programmes develop and implement an effective Volunteer Strategy and Volunteer Journey with accompanying action plan to recruit and engage a diverse range of volunteers for Inspiring the Future.
- Lead on volunteer experience, managing all aspects of volunteering to the highest possible standard.
- Provide day-to-day volunteer administrative management acting as a central point of contact for volunteer queries.
- Represent the charity on volunteer management externally, with both stakeholder partners and within the volunteering management community.
- Ensure the volunteer programme adheres to the charity values: Inspiring, Inclusive, Impactful, Innovative and Integrity.
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Officer on utilising a range of channels and existing partnerships to ensure a diverse range of volunteers are recruited to the programme.
- Use data to identify targeted volunteer recruitment gaps (such as geographical, demographic, sector led) and working closely with the Director of Operations and Programmes and Communications and Marketing Officer to deliver creative recruitment campaigns.
- Support project-based volunteer recruitment ensuring the project hits its KPIs including building, developing, and managing relationships with key stakeholders and employers.
- Join up with the Head of Schools Programmes to ensure any recruitment campaigns integrate messaging to schools.
- Build and develop a community of Inspiring the Future volunteers who feel supported by the ITF team and confident to deliver high-quality sessions in schools.
- Utilise evaluation processes, including KPIs, to measure volunteer engagement (such as responsiveness to activity invites) and regularly monitor, analyse, and report on data.
- Work alongside the Salesforce Manager to maintain the volunteer database ensuring it is up to date with engaged and responsive volunteers and creating automated processes to implement this at scale.
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Officer to devise a volunteer communication strategy and schedule, driving key messaging to volunteers including creating the volunteer bi-monthly newsletter.
- Input on volunteer policies including code of conduct and complaint procedures.
- Monitor volunteer satisfaction, gather feedback and take appropriate steps for improvement. This includes managing the annual volunteer survey from creation to evaluation.
- Work alongside the Salesforce Manager to update and improve any automated emails to volunteers that are generated through their journey on the programme and ensure the volunteer platform is maintained with coherent and accessible design and up-to-date information.
- Maintain the Volunteer Handbook and any other volunteer induction materials.
- Create and manage a suite of resources including information guides and training videos that are designed to support volunteers to deliver high-quality sessions.
- Provide bespoke support to volunteers considered to be VIP by the charity and liaise with the CEO and relevant staff to enable this.
- Regularly review ongoing volunteer activity to provide day-to-day support to volunteers in engaging with the programme and individual activities.
- Devise and manage a reward and recognition programme for volunteers.
- If required, create modified resources and training for specific funded partnership KPIs.
Skills/ Knowledge/ Expertise
- Experience in successful project management and delivery.
- Experience in managing volunteers.
- Experience designing and creating resources.
- First class written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, relationship building and presentation skills.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills including close attention to detail and effective time management.
- Excellent communication skills in relation to both written and verbal.
- Excellent multi-tasking skills, with the ability to work around conflicting deadlines.
- Familiar with digital technology, high level of IT literacy including an aptitude for making effective use of databases/CRM systems.
- Proven ability to work as both a team member and autonomously.
- Demonstrable experience in managing a diverse workload; being able to prioritise work and working under pressure.
- A passion for supporting young people in realising their potential through harnessing skilled volunteers to engage in education.
- An understanding of the education and employment sectors.
- Experience of working in the not-for-profit sector.
- Understanding of risk management and data protection.
- A successful track record in planning effective campaigns to influence the behaviour of external stakeholders/employers/volunteers.
- Uphold our charity’s values – Inspiring, Inclusive, Innovative, Impactful, Integrity
- Flexible – responsive to changing operational context and new opportunities
- Team Player: working collaboratively and flexibly to achieve outcomes and is keen to add value to the organisation’s culture and ethos
- Able to undertake some occasional work in the evenings and at weekends
- Able to travel in the UK if required
The Education and Employers charity values having a diverse workforce. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals from all backgrounds. We offer a range of inclusive employment and family friendly policies as well as flexible working arrangements in order to support staff from different backgrounds.
The closing date for applications is 9pm on Tuesday 28th June 2022. Interviews will take place online in the week beginning 4th July and 11th July.
Please send a covering letter setting out your interest in and suitability for the role and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note we will only consider applications with both a CV and covering letter and applications will only be accepted from those with the right to work in the UK with a valid passport/visa.
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be considered under any circumstances.
The Charity is fully committed to safeguarding those in our care. We plan our recruitment processes to ensure effective timelines for any required vetting processes such as enhanced DBS, qualification, reference and identity checks. The Charity also ensures that each staff member is appropriately trained for their duties with a comprehensive induction process on commencement.